Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Thing 10. Wikis

Whew! I survived that one. I was a little concerned when I went into the 23 Things wiki to edit. I added a new page - the B Movie page. Then I thought it would be nice to link from the home page to it so that people could add their favorite B movies. Well, I had a little issue and linked my new page to the home page so that when you went to the home page all you got was the link for my page. I started to freak out and tried to fix it. Well, I couldn't figure it out at first and thought that yes indeed it really was possible to "mess up" a wiki. I finally found the history at the bottom of the page which let me delete my mess and I was able to link successfully.
It was nice to learn what wiki actually meant. You would think that being a librarian I would look into it, but I hadn't. It could work as a collaboration tool within a group as long as you know who is editing and that the edits would be correct. BTW, I really enjoy the Common Craft videos. As far as the wikis I viewed, I liked the Book Lovers one best. The others all looked the same, but this one was a little more customized. I guess I don't really care for the formatting all being the same.
As an academic librarian I really discourage the students from using Wikipedia. I tell them it is a place where they can go to find a general idea, or to get some search terms, but that they shouldn't use it as a reference. A student in one of my workshops said that she had used it as a reference on one of her papers and still got an A. At that point one of the other students told her that she shouldn't use it because anyone could go in and change it. Sometimes it works when they hear it from another student.

No comments: