Friday, February 15, 2008

Thing 3 Keeping up - RSS feeds

I love the name of Thing 3 "Keeping up," especially since I can't seem to do it. I already have a Google reader account and have mentioned it in my last post. I do like that I have only one place to go to read all of them, it saves some time - if I keep up, that is ;^) Most of my subscriptions are ones that have been suggested by one of the librarians in my system, when she did a talk about RSS feeds. I have gradually added some others when they have been referred to in one of the blogs that I read. So, for this exercise I decided to go out and find some to add. I tried using the tools on 23 Things to find some blogs, but didn't have much luck. I did subscribe to Unshelved, because I decided that I needed something light in my reader. Then I decided that I would like to have the feeds from the Chicago Tribune and New York Times book sections because I love to read and am always looking for the latest title. To do this, I went to their websites. The New York Times was easy, because at the bottom of the homepage they had the little RSS feed icon and when I clicked on it, it gave me the whole listing of what is available. So I went to the book section, clicked on the icon, and copied and pasted the URL into my add subscription box in Google reader and there it was. For the Tribune, I had to go to resources, then RSS feeds, and then find the one I wanted. I then decided that I would subscribe to my coworkers' blogs on 23 Things so I could keep up with how they are doing.

1 comment:

Chandra said...

Your post made me recall something: I've been forgetting to log into Google Reader! What's the point of subscribing to an RSS reader if I'm never going to remember to log in to check it?

Good idea about adding our blogs to your RSS. I think I'll borrow your idea!