Friday, February 8, 2008

Thing 2 What is Web 2.0....

I listened to Stephen's interview. The part that stands out for me is finding time. I am the librarian at a college campus of nearly 400 students. I have projects that I work on for the system, workshops in classes, books to catalog and process, weekly meetings, committees, etc. I always say I need another couple of hours in my workday - compressed hours so that I can work 10 and it still feels like 8. Sometimes it is hard for me to come up with a dedicated 7 -15 minutes to work on Library 2.0 - witness that I am only on Thing 2. Our college library system is already doing Library 2.0 things. There is a blog on which we have to post. We collect bookmarks in Ma.gnolia for student resources, which we should be doing about 10 minutes each day. We IM each other. We will start using Meebo for virtual reference. I subscribe to RSS feeds through Google Reader, which I haven't read in a week and am afraid to see how many have piled up. Also, I have used Google Documents to work on projects. I feel like I am slowly getting there.

I moved to this position from a public library. I still substitute there from time to time and I was talking to one of the librarians about all of the 2.0 stuff and she didn't know what it was. That made me feel a little better. Of course, I must say that until I took this position I had never used instant messaging. Now I have even created my own blog! The one thing I will say is that when I go home after looking at a computer screen all day, I won't even turn my computer on. So, I haven't been on Second Life because to me it seems like working after work, especially for librarians. I don't want to do reference and programming all day long and then come home get online in an alternative universe and do reference and programming. One of the positions I held at the public library, was Young Adult Librarian. One of the last things I accomplished there was getting a grant and purchasing mats for Dance Dance Revolution. Now, they not only have DDR tournaments but have also added Guitar Hero.

2 comments:

Chandra said...

You're right...we really do use quite a few 2.0 applications already. I was just IM-ing our library director a little bit ago and told her that by the time I feel confident with 2.0, we'll be talking about 4.0 or higher.

Do you think E. would let us buy Guitar Hero? But then we'd have to share with the other campuses.

Sara (not Marian) the Librarian said...

Ugh, you had to remind me--I set up a feed in Google reader last month and haven't been back since!!!! Is there a way to delete stuff, like with email? I couldn't figure it out when I was looking at it when I set it up. Oh, well, maybe I will find out when I start doing the rest of the things on the stick:-)